Rajuk Uttara Model college Dhaka
Test Examination-2019; English Second Paper
Part-A: Grammar (60Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 5.5*10=5
Dengue(pronounced DENgee) fever is a painful, mosquito-borne disease caused by dengue viruses. Sometimes, (a)——– are mild and can be mistaken for (b)———- of the flu or another viral (c)———-. Symptoms typically begin three or four days after infection. This may include a high fever, headache, (d)——— muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin (e)——–. The symptoms may progress to (f)——- bleeding, shock and death. This is called dengue shock (g)—— (DSS). People with weakened (h)———– systems and being attacked (i)———- time is believed to be (j)——– greater risk for developing dengue hemorrhagic fever.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5*10=5
An (a)———– number of fires have raged in the Amazon rain forest which is called the (b)——— of the earth. It provides 20% of total oxygen. There have been more than 80,000 fires so (c)—— this year, the most ever (d)——–. (e)———- say deforestation and a practice called slash-and-burn are to (f)——— for most of the flames. People down patches of forest, allow the area to dry out, then set the remains (g)——– to make room for (h)———- or other development. The(i)——– worldwide are concerned about the (j)——— change.
3. Make five sentences using parts of sentences from each column of the table below. 1*5=5
(a) A rumour
(i) spread it
(b) I mostcases
(ii) believe it
(ii) from person to person.
(c) Some unscrupulous people
(iii) without being sure of it.
(d) Some imprudent people
(iv) is a tale circulated
(iv) unrest in the society.
(e) It may
(v) it has no
(v) For some purpose.
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5*10=5
Truth always (a)———in the world. Falsehood may (b)———–for the time being. Those who (c)———-engaged in (d)———–the truth is (e)———-by the people. Those who (f)———interested in telling lies, cannot (g)———-in life. They may prosper seemingly. But they cannot (h)———-all the time. Socrates throughout his life would preach the truth. He tried to make people (i)———-what was good for them. He was troubled by the powerful people. Yet he never (j)———-teaching good things.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 1*5=5
A news reporter said to me, “Sir, we have arranged a seminar on the beautification of Dhaka city. If you kindly keep your opinion in the seminar.” I said,” It is a pleasure for me that you have selected a very important topic. I am, in fact, busy in some other cases. But if I can make a little bit of time, I must attend.” “Thank you very much,” said the news reporter.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1*10=10
(a) Illiteracy is a curse. (Complex)
(b) No other problem in Bangladesh is as dreadful as illiteracy. (Comparative)
(c) All the development programmes in our country are badly hampered by illiteracy. (Active)
(d) Most of the people of our country cannot write and read. (Affimative)
(e) So the literacy rate in Bangladesh is very poor. (Negative)
(f) It is too poor for one to imagine. (Complex)
(g) Though illiteracy frustrates all our efforts, we do not realize it. (Compound)
(h) It is the duty of the education persons to educate the illiteracy. (Interrogative)
(i) As students have duties to the society, they should do something about illiteracy. (Compound)
(j) The government has taken necessary steps to eradicate illiteracy. (Passive)
7. Complete the sentences. 1*5=5
(a) Though an honest man is poor———–.
(b) Fortune smiles upon those————-.
(c) ————as if nothing happened.
(d) Had I recognized him————.
(e) Scarcely had they reached the airport———–.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both. With the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5*10=5
Answer to the question in the examination should be to the point. You should not (a) largeyour answers unnecessarily. When you write main ideas, you can (b) shortyour sentences. (c) Necessary (d) elaborated of the answers is simply a (e) waste of time. This unnecessary elaboration (f) pleasethe (g) examine and they get (h) irritate and do not want to give high marks. So, students are advised to be (i) caution about this effect and they should not write any (j) relevant point in their answer.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1*5=5
(a) Nobody should escape from his duty, _____?
(b) Let’s overcome this crisis, ______?
(c) Anything many happen in this time, ______?
(d) What a miserable situation! ______?
(e) We seldom want war, ______?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1*5=5
Man is a social being. He wants a person with whom he can mix and converse freely, exchanging thoughts and ideas. (a) ______, a man naturally seeks the society of those who are like himself in their taste and inclination. (b) ______ we mix with the good (c) ______ the noble, their company will ennoble us too. Our character can, (d) ______, be judged from that of our companions. (e) ______ we may be taking to evil ways, a true companion will try his best to correct us.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 5
Have you heard that sakib al hasan has taken a rest from international cricket for six months yes can you tell me the authentic reason yes in fact because of playing at a stretch he is going to lose his attention so for getting mental freshness he needs it sure he should said alam to ratna
Part-B: Composition (40 Marks)
12. Suppose, you are Md. Saiful Bari and you have passed MSS in Mass Education. You have seen a vacancy advertisement in “The Daily Star” for the post of an English Newscaster in a renowned TV Channel. Now, write a CV with a cover letter for the post. 8
13. Imagine, you are the inhabitants of Kurigram Municipality, Kurigram. Mosquito population has increased a lot in your area. Now, write an application to the Chairman of your Municipality for taking steps against mosquito menace. 10
14. Write a paragraph in 150 words on “A Science Fair”. 10
15.Write a composition on “Students and Social Service”. 12