Mymensingh Girls’ Cadet College SSC Rest Exam Question 2018
Part-A: Grammar (60 Marks)
- Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You many need to change the former of some of the words. You many to use one word more than once.
Idleness brings destruction (a) __ anyone. There is (b) __ proverb regarding idleness that it is (c) __ conspiracy of the evil. It is similar (d) __ destruction in the sense power still destroys everything. Those who are idle, can never shine in life because idleness closes, the gate (e) __ prosperity. This gate can be (f) __ when one works here. An idle brain is known (g) __ a devil’s workshop because many bad and harmful thoughts occur in (h) __ idle brain. We should always try our best to remove evil thinking. If we are (i) __ in doing our works properly, we can go a long way (j) __ solving the problem of our poor condition.
- Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
Mount Everest which is (a) __ the Himalayan Mountains. In the north of India between Tibet and Nepal, is (b) __ highest mountain in the world. It is over 29000 feet (c) __ sea level. It was names after (d) __ Englishmen, George Everest who war fist to (e) __ the Himalayas in 1841. Mount Every has always fascinated (f) __. But climbing mountains like Everest is difficult and (g)for there is snow all over. There might be snow. (h) __ and cracks under the ice and snow. Besides, the climbers have to (i) __ strong winds and bitter cold. But mountaineers are daring people. They are not daunted (j) __ difficulties and dangers.
3.Make five sentences using parts of sentences from each column of the table below.
|would stop||a natural death.|
|wanted||by the rulers of Athens.|
|Socrates||did not did||to spared knowledge among the people.|
|He||was killed||out in the streets of Athens.|
|would often go||Passers-by at different places in the street and asked them simple questions.|
(a) Socrates would often go out in the streets of Athens.
(b) He would stop passersby at different places in the street and asked them simple questions.
(c) He wanted to spread knowledge among people.
(d) He did not die a natural death.
(e) He was killed by the rules of Athens.
- Complete the flowing text with right forms of the verbs given in the box.
The boat race (a)__ by an club. The date (b)__ in due course. The spectator (c)__ and line up along the banks of the river in which the race (d)__ place. The hawkers (e)__ moving through the crowd selling many things. The boats (f)__ in a proper row. The rowers look much excitement (h) __ through the crowd. Now the zero hour (i)__ for the starting of the race. The states (j)__ the signal. Right go the boats onward. A huge cry goes round the place.
(a) is arranged
(b) is announced
(e) are seen
(f) are put
(g) are encouraged
- Change the narrative style of the following text.
The boy seat to the teacher, ‘’Sir, I shall be much obliged if you will kindly land me the look you praised highly in the class room yesterday. ‘’the teachers said , ‘’I am very glad to know that you are eager to read this book. You are welcome to any of my books that you like. ‘’
The boy politely told the teacher that he (b) would be much obliged if he (t) would kindly lend him (b) the book he (t) had praised highly in the class room in the previous day. The teacher that he (t) was very glad to know that he (b) was eager to read the book. The
6. Change the sentences according to directions.
- Very few cities in the world are so/as busy as Singapore. (Use comparative degree)
- Of all the hotels, Raffles is the finest. (Use positive degree)
- Millions of people visit Singapore every year. (Use passive voice)
- People who love food can taste local as well behaved. (Male simple sentence)
- The people of Singapore are very well behaved. (Make negative sentence)
- They welcome the tourists warmly. (Use passive voice)
- They are industrious. (Make negative sentence)
- They are too polite to misbehave towards other (Use Make complex sentence)
- The tourists are also pleased with them. (Use active voice)
- They go there enjoy the chit. Make complex sentence)
(a) Singapore is busier than most other cities in the world.
(b) No other hotels are so fine as Raffles.
(c) Every year Singapore is visited by millions of people.
(d) Food loving people can taste local as well as foreign food.
(e) The people of Singapore do not behave rough at all.
(f) The tourists are warmly welcomed by them.
(g) They are not lazy.
(h) They are so polite that they can’t misbehave with others.
(i) They also please the tourists.
(j) They go there so that they can enjoy the city.
- Complete the sentences.
- He could not attend the meeting because __.
- He went to his residence as soon as __.
- He was so ill that __.
- We immediately decide to shift him to a hospital because __.
- No sooner had we reached the station__.
(a) He could not attend the meeting because he was ill.
(b) He went to his residence as soon as he felt sick.
(c) He was so ill that he was vomiting once and again.
(d) We immediately decide to shift him to a hospital because his condition worsens.
(e) No sooner had we reached the station than the train left.
- Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in the parenthesis.
A postman is the most (a) eager waited person. He renders (b) value service to us. He performs his duties (c) regular and (d) sincere. He is so (e) t6he legal (f0 owe of the thing to be delivered. If he failed to (g) charge his duties (h) proper, it may cause (i) repairable loss t5o the person concerned. But he is not given proper (j) treat.
9. Make tag questions of these statements.
- Flood occurs if rainfall becomes excessive, __?
- It can lead to landslides and mudflows,__?
- Rivers in this season become full and overflow their banks,__?
- They submerge what is there on each side of the banks, __?
- The suffering of the poor people living there knows no bounds,__?
- 9. Answer:
(a) Flood occurs if rainfall becomes excessive, doesn’t it?
(b) It can lead to landslides and mudflows, can’t it?
(c) Rivers in this season become full and overflow their banks, don’t they?
(d) They submerge what is there on each side of the banks, don’t they?
(e) The suffering of the poor people living there knows no bounds, does it?
(10) Complete the passage using suitable connectors.
My younger sister is a student of class ix. She does not know how to make a cup oftea. She wanted to know how to make a cup prepares (a) __ I taught her that a cup of ten a cup is prepared (d) __. (c)__ she is to put one and a half cup of water in a kettle. Then she will put the little over a stove under the water has boiled. (d)__ she will take the kettle from the stove when the water turns red. (e)__ she will pour the liquor into a cup through a strainer. She will mix some sugar and milk with the liquor and still it until the sugar dissolves.
(b) step by step
(d) After that
- Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text.
summer the first season of bangla year consists ogf baishakh and jaishta fruits of different items are seen available in the summer season when strong wind blow the children and girls come out under the trees to pick up mangoes it is risky to go under trees because their might cause an accident.
Summer, the first season of Bangla year, consists of Boishakh and Jaistha. Fruits of different items are seen available in the summer season. When strong wind blows, the children and girls come out under the trees to pick up mangoes. It is risky to under trees because there might cause an accident.